Tuesday 17 May 2011

NEPALESE OBBSESSION WITH THE SKINNY LOOK


Todays world seems to be all about looks, where ever we go we are surrounded by so called perfect celebrities, actors, models, singers, TV hosts with perfect bodies….But something I have found in our Nepalese Society is our obsession with skinny slim bodies and our ignorance to recognize the beauty of curves .I’m not trying to discourage the beauty of a healthy slim figure but why doesn’t our society appreciate bigger sizes?
This was something I noticed or realised, when I went bride hunting for my mama (uncle) and two beautiful ladies were shown; the younger sister was slimmer but the elder sister was the real beauty for me with a charming smile and beautiful curves and I’m not being bias and favouring the curvy one because I myself being big sized but the curves I admired, my mama (uncle) and aunties classed as ‘FATNESS’.
We turn a blind eye when it comes to appreciating feminine curves like BeyoncĂ©’s. I don’t think this is an issue which might only occur rarely. Instead I would say this is actually a difficult issue that most of us chubby, bigger sized, curvaceous, voluptuous women of Nepalese race specially go through.
No matter how much you’re comfortable about yourself – a few shallow repeated harsh criticisms do affect even the most body confident person causing constant source of dissatisfaction and distress.
Parents nagging ‘tah motayish talai kosley bihey garcha?(Your putting on weight whose going to marry you ?) it’s understandable their fear and I don’t blame them because grooms do seem to prefer a skinny looking girl  but is that right? – A son in law who’s more into looks then the person. Isn’t it the personality that’s meant to capture one’s heart?
We just don’t seem to understand! I swear BeyoncĂ© would be labelled as fat, its because we Nepalese are not so used to seeing a Va-Va Voom figures oozing with confidence 


and the likes of Posh and Cheryl would be the ideal size for most Nepalese girls.



It’s very uncommon to see curvaceous girls walking round in the high streets of Nepal instead we are more familiar with very petite skinny girls.
Even The runways have changed we see a growing number of women of different sizes. The new movement now means we see real women’s in front covers of Magazines more often rather than stick thin sickly looking model but is the attitudes towards bigger figure ever going to change in our society?



Teenagers are obsessed with their bodies, making one wonder what
 are the main priorities of life. I see bainies and Di Di’s(sisters) around me skipping their lunch to maintain their figure don’t get me wrong I’m not saying being overweight is good but should these girls starve themselves - wrecking their health in their growing age .Shouldn’t we approach a more healthier and sensible way to achieve our goal. Some complain about not growing tall but I wonder is this due to something lacking in their diet?



 I think our society’s persistent preferment of the idealisation of thinness has put girls of all ages under extreme pressure to strive after the accomplishment of body perfection. 
But who’s to blame for all these - is it the commercial world or the narrow minded people around us?
Can we change the minds of our stubborn elderly’s and some young ones? Or are we going to see more girls starving themselves to achieve the so called perfect size.
Do you think size zero is sexy, and do you wish you were that thin?


Or do you think it sets a bad example for young girls?
Should women on the catwalk be a range of sizes, and represent real women more accurately?
I personally think as long as someone is happy with the way they look than that is Brilliant , there’s no need to satisfy those who can’t accept some one for who they are.


Check this Size zero Hottie
The highest earning super model Gisele .


Check out this curvaceous beauty !
The Va- Va Voom Hottie Kim knows how to show off her curves with hugging fabrics !



The pluszise singing sensation is a FINE example
Beautiful Adele is a Role model for bigger women with her great confidence.


Have your say below 
Sarala :O) 

7 comments:

  1. this is useless...nepali are neve like that, neva will be and even if they be they are neva excepted by the society after all i don't have to explain how nepali society is like!. its like the story of the jackal who cover himself with the skin of the lion and boost herself in the jungle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. its gradually changing . welldone sarala baini !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. iv only seen 1 nepalese girls 'my ex' wid a physique like dat of kim kardashains ... and even she was half nepalese... but da answer is nah... never can we bump into a nepalese girl wid model figures, its either too fat, too short or no junk in da trunk lmao///

    ReplyDelete
  4. font really small...cant read properly. nice blog..though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. plz change your theme or the background image. it is really distracting ani i cannot see those writing
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. NOO! ITS THE OLDIES THAT LIKE THE SKINNY. I, MYSELF AM A SKINNY GIRL. I DO EAT BUT ITS JUST THAT I DONT SEEM TO PUT WEIGHT ON. MY MOM WAS LIKE THAT WHEN SHE WAS A TEEN SO, MAYBE ITS GENETIC? I DUNNO. BUT I'D DIE TO HAVE A CURVY FIGURE. THAT'S SEXIER. BOOBIES AND CURVIES <333 SADLY I DONT HAVE IT :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. yaa unnaturally skinny girls aren't a pretty sight...but what is more XP is uber-skinny boys......its like eat some snickers!!! jhan when their skinny jeans are barely hanging off their hips.......i dont even know!!!

    ReplyDelete