Thursday 17 November 2011

University ? ? ?

Going to University to achieve higher education is very vital for most of us Nepalese youths. I am hoping to start Uni from next year and I am sure many of you out there are too, than again like many of you out there I have fears about it.
As we are all aware we will be paying up to a big whopping four numbers £9000 a year for tuition fees alone. Not Fair!  I estimated I probably will end up with £63,000 in debt which will include living expenses and fees by the time I graduate with no guarantee of a job. But this is not my main concern as we will be covered by student loan but what I worry about is moving away, setting in a new place, responsibility and surviving independently.
I guess growing up, we are so used to being fussed around by our parents constantly; interfering in every aspect of our lives but all that will be GONE once we are at Uni.
On top of that hearing all these terrible problems of current Uni students doesn’t help either. I have heard many, mostly money related: No money to top up gas, No food, feeling home sick, relationship problems and so on.
On the other hand I am extremely excited about going to Uni. Cannot wait to start. University should be a fun experience to find ourselves and be independent especially for most of us Nepalese youths who are mostly restricted from going out often while at home. So being away from the living CCTV community and parents means FREEDOM at the max but my mother being mum will probably be calling me every hour of the day.
Being away will mean we can do what we want, when we want and where we want. However the excitement doesn’t last forever so I guess after a few months all the reality will start to kick in with problems, the bills, late nights, feeling lonely, cooking, cleaning all those things we take for granted while at home. We will have to manage EVERYTHING OURSELVES.
For some of us the new found freedom could take over the main aim; rather than being focused on the degree. What if we get too much into the fun side?  What if we don’t get on with the housemates? What if we don’t like the course we picked?
Also the friends we might meet could become a problem as it is very easy to get swayed or pressured into bad habits like going out too much, drinking, and smoking.
Also With unemployment on the rise I question myself is degree really the stepping stone to a career.

2 comments:

  1. suggestion for you: You might want to change the colour of your font and the background. This is eye-aching. I got blurred for a min.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The issue is using the white font in a black backgroud. Seriously man ! other than that you write ok.

    ReplyDelete